We provide same day visa service which means we will book slot at one of the P.E.O. Offices of the Home Office and our legal representative will submit your application personally after reviewing or preparing your applications for the same day decision.

To secure booking you will have to pay £50/- as deposit which will be non refundable if you do not want to go ahead after booking.

Our Fees

To secure booking you will have to pay £50/- as deposit which will be non refundable if you do not want to go ahead after booking.

We will charge £500/- including VAT for reviewing your application and documents and submission of the application.

If you want us to advise you on the documents and prepare your application completely, please see our Fees for individual applications. You will have to pay additional £300/-  to £500/- in addition to the fees mentioned for different applications.

We can submit the following visa applications every week but need to give the Home Office details of an individual client in advance. The categories below are biometric and require every applicant and dependants to accompany us on the day of submission (to provide fingerprints):

Applications for settlement or extension of stay

Public enquiry offices accept applications for permission to extend your stay (known as ‘limited leave to remain’) or to settle permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK, in the categories below.


  • husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner – forms FLR(M), SET(M).
  • children – forms FLR(O) for non points-based system cases under the Immigration Rules, SET(O) and SET(F) (only if the child entered the UK with the correct entry clearance)
  • visitor – form FLR(O) (for medical visitors, academic visitors and parents accompanying children under 12 years of age who are receiving private education in the UK)
  • (some offices only) transfer of conditions into a new passport forms NTL (for transferring indefinite leave to remain) and TOC (for transferring temporary permission to stay)

If you are applying on form SET(M) (to extend your stay or settle in the UK as the spouse or partner of a person who is settled here), both you and your partner must attend your appointment.

Points-based system

  • Tier 1 (Post-study work)
  • Tier 1 (General)
  • Tier 1 (Investor)- leave to remain (super premium only)
  • Tier 2 (General)
  • Tier 2 (Intra company transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
  • Tier 4 (General)
  • Tier 4 (Child)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker – creative and sporting)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker – charity worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker – religious worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker – government authorised exchange)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker – international agreement)
  • dependents of migrants under the points-based system – form PBS (Dependant)

Work outside the points-based system

  • domestic worker in a private household – forms FLR(O) and SET(O)
  • offshore worker – form FLR(O)
  • UK ancestry – forms FLR(O) and SET(O)
  • applying for an extention of your visa on the highly skilled migrant programme- form FLR HSMP (leave to remain)

Government and military

  • armed forces indefinite leave to remain following discharge – form SET(O)
  • armed forces dependants- extentions and indefinite leave to remain – form FLR(O) and SET (O)
  • civilian emloyee of armed forces (civilian component) – form FLR(O)

Medical studies

  • Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test – form FLR(O)
  • clinical attachment – form FLR(O)

Applications for registration certificates – European citizens (Croydon only)

If you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area, you can apply for registration certificates at Croydon public enquiry office. Only limited numbers of appointments are available for this.

Payment can only be made using a credit or debit card. If you pay on the day with a credit card or debit card that is not in your name, the person named on the card must be present to authorise the transaction, and the card must be ‘chip and pin’ enabled.

If you would like to find out more about how we can help, please Contact Us.

We can’t provide specific advice on your matter before you become a client, but we can give you an honest assessment of whether you’d benefit from a follow up appointment. Naturally, everything you tell us will be treated in complete confidence.

Call Now: 0208 127 6770 or Email:  mail@rcsolicitor.co.uk